Monday, October 8, 2007

Satan and Raid 5

Well it's official -- Raid 5 just ain't good enough no more. We have had a long weekend. Saturday morning, I got a phone call that Shelby and Email were down. This hasn't happened before... Both of those apps are on our Super Redundant VMWare Server that hasn't ever even hiccup'ed. I came and in and the worst fears were there. 2 Hard Drives blinking yellow at the same time. That's right, my 408GB SAS Raid 5 Array was gone, and all the VM's with it. We are still in the process of restoring the system, but I have some very good lesson's learned from this little excercise. Hopefully I will get the SAN I have been waiting for...

We'll find out!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that sucks! So sorry!

I agree ... raid5 is not enough ... raid 6 or raid5 plus a hot spare are a must.