Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Good Free Duplicate File Finder

Have you ever wondered how many files out there on your server were the same? I have and in my past companies we have actually purchased software to keep tabs on how much space is wasted with duplicate files. I recently found this freeware tool call Duplicate File Finder 3.1. It is totally freeware, and doesn't require installation - a feature I like when working on my servers.

I unzipped the file and ran it on my primary file server. We have 250Gb worth of data on this system so it took a few minutes to run...right around for a while, and returned the following:

What I ended up finding out is that out 210Gb of Data 56GB of it was being wasted by duplicate files. This is just one partition on one server. It will be interesting to see what is one the rest of the servers.


0 comments: